Why suffer from insomnia when you could sleep instead?
I’ve just realised that I have written no quality posts on the topic of sleep, despite the fact that I’ve been using hypnotherapy in Reading, Oxford, Thame, Holborn (London) and Wallingford to help clients sleep better with hypnotherapy for years. Despite the fact that sleep is one of those things which nobody can do without.
I also offer hypnotherapy online for insomnia, using vsee, zoom or whatsap. Please get in touch for more details as to how this works.
Insomnia is a terrible curse. It’s impossible to live a healthy and happy life with an inability to sleep. Like food and water it’s one of the very fundamentals of life. If you’ve lost the ability to fall asleep without stress and anxiety then hypnotherapy could help you.
Hypnos: the God of Sleep
Hypnotherapy can teach you to relax and relaxation is all you need to learn. Once you can relax you can sleep. Everyone who falls asleep has to have relaxed first. Learn one and the other naturally follows.
At the moment you’ve probably locked yourself into a vicious circle. I expect that you found it impossible to sleep one night and then the next.
Quite soon you became angry with yourself for failing to get to sleep and the very idea of bedtime because a stressful concept.
It soon becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby you expect to find sleep difficult. Hypnotherapy could help you to revere this process.
There’s a deeper reason to your insomnia. It’s not just coffee
Nobody wants that. You’ve somehow forgotten how to relax enough to allow your body to do what comes naturally at night. I’d be glad to help you to overcome that problem, that reason to be stressed.
You can learn to deal with life’s stresses differently. You could learn to deal with any major stressor which is keeping you awake at night, even if you’re not consciously aware of what it might be. We’ll find out, together, and we’ll deal with it once and for all.
How to overcome insomnia
- If you’ve suffered insomnia for some time then all of the bedtime routines have become associated with the problem. The first night of insomnia was an annoyance. The second a pain. Before long you expected not to sleep and at some stage thereafter began to feel stressed at the very thought of going to bed. You have conditioned yourself into a whole set of bad habits, expectations and unhelpful beliefs. To undo them, adopt as many of the following changes as possible.
- So, change those routines.
- Sleep on the other side of the bed.
- Move the bed.
- Sleep with a different number of pillows.
- Bed is for sleep and sex only. read downstairs or in a chair.
- Banish ipads, ‘phones from bed.
- Stop watching TV in bed.
- Get ready for bed – brushing teeth, undressing, going to the loo etc etc in a different order.
- Stop using IT of any kind for at least 30 minutes before bed.
- Limit the use of caffeine, alcohol, tobacco for an hour or more before bed.
- Observe your breathing, how your chest and stomach feel, how the air feels, flowing in and flowing out again. Don’t think about it, just observe.
- Learn to observe thoughts, letting them come and letting them go. Don’t judge them as being good or bad. Just notice the thoughts which come and how they can be allowed to go.
- Observe the sounds going on around you. Observe the sound of your own breathing. Don’t listen, just hear.
- Notice how your feet feel, the weight of the duvet, the warmth.
- Do the same with the rest of your body, working your way up from the tips of your toes to the top of your head.
- Then move on to observing your feelings. Don’t wish them away or try to stop them. Just notice whatever’s there.
- Call me for help if this seems difficult or if you’d like to learn more about the necessary techniques of how to relax and how to leave stress behind.
Call me for hypnotherapy for insomnia. ‘You are feeling sleepy…’
Hypnotherapy is tailor made for insomnia. You need to learn to relax in order to fall asleep and no other therapy has learning how to relax at its very core.
If you live in or near Reading, Oxford, Thame or Wallingford then I’ll be glad to hear from you. Give me a call and we’ll discuss how I could help you. You could call on 07786 123736 / 01865 600970 / 01183 280284, email me at email@example.com or else use the contact form below.